Menu

University Libraries

Issues for Chat & Knowledgebase

Outage Resolved

[10/2/17 @ 5:48 pm - Matthew]

The Knowledge Base and Chat server are both down. We had IT make a DNS change earlier today in anticipation of moving this tool to HTTPS, but something went wrong with the update. The URL is no longer resolving to the correct server. We're working with IT to get this resolved, but everyone has left for the day.

We'll update when we know more.

[10/2/17 @ 9:47 pm - Matthew]

IT has updated the DNS entries and the Knowledge Base and chat are back online. Tomorrow we'll finish moving them to HTTPS.

This Outage was reported on 10/2/17 and resolved on 10/2/17.

Minor Issue Resolved

[9/25/17 @ 9:24 pm - Matthew]

Texts are taking a very long time to come through, nearly 4-5 minutes. Springshare has replicated the problem, and they are working on a fix.

[10/2/17 @ 5:49 pm - Matthew]

Springshare says this is likely due to latency at the SMS provider, and not in the software. There isn't anything they can do to speed this up.

This Minor Issue was reported on 9/25/17 and resolved on 10/2/17.

Feature Request Resolved

[5/12/15 @ 1:18 pm - Matthew]

We asked Springshare for a "next" button when looking at transcripts, to make it quicker to review multiple transcripts at a time.

[5/9/16 @ 11:37 am - Matthew]

Springshare quietly added this feature to the transcripts in LibChat. Hurrah!

This Feature Request was reported on 5/12/15 and resolved on 5/9/16.

Feature Request Resolved

[4/17/15 @ 1:29 pm - Matthew]

The LibChat widget currently doesn't check to see if jQuery is already loaded on a page before loading it, causing the script to be loaded twice in several of our systems (including Summon, 360Link2.0, Ares, Illiad, etc.)

I've asked Springshare to check for jQuery support before loading the script with their widget.

[4/20/15 @ 10:02 am - Matthew]

Springshare added this to the feature request list, and asked me if I had other reasons to implement it. So I sent along this list along with a suggestion:

  1. Performance - loading jQuery twice adds an extra 35kb plus a sever request to the user's browser. This affects not only speed but also data plans.
  2. jQuery conflicts. If someone is running jQuery 2.x, when you load your jQuery 1.11.x there are a few functions that cause conflicts.
  3. No conflict mode. If you're not running jQuery in no-conflict mode, then you could cause issues with sites that are already running Prototype, or other libraries that have mapped the $ prefix. (Like 360Link from ProQuest). Likewise, if you run it in no conflict mode, you could cause conflicts in versions between my jQuery that I'm loading in 360Link in no conflict mode, if I were running a different version that you! :)

It should be as easy as adding something like this function, adapted from Karl Swedberg's jQueryify bookmarklet:

if(typeof jQuery!='undefined') {
    console.log('This page already using jQuery v'+jQuery.fn.jquery);
} else if (typeof $=='function') {
    otherlib=true;
    $jq=jQuery.noConflict(); // Use $jq in script instead of $
}

I will update on that status of this once I hear back from Springshare.

[4/20/15 @ 1:41 pm - Matthew]

I took a closer look at Springshare's code, and they are testing for jQuery before they load it with window.jQuery (lines cf. 28). I suspect the issue is that because ProQuest is loading both Prototype (why?!?) and jQuery on 360Link, and running jQuery in no conflict mode, the global jQuery & $ variables are somehow registering as undefined when Springshare's widget queries them. (This article might give some insight.)

Not sure if this can be addressed, since it's a specific case to how two versions of jQuery get loaded when one product is used on another product page, but I'll keep tinkering with it.

[4/21/15 @ 11:17 am - Matthew]

Since there is no way for me to load the relevant LibChat script after ProQuest loads jQuery until ProQuest fixes their 360Link 2.0 "Custom JavaScript" function, LibChat is checking for jQuery before the other version loads. I'm closing this out as a Springshrare issue, and moving it to the Link Resolver.

This Feature Request was reported on 4/17/15 and resolved on 4/21/15.

Outage Resolved

[11/22/13 @ 2:35 pm - Ben]

ebrary platform will experience interruptions in service (up to 2 hours) while scheduled maintenance is performed on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 8:00 pm EST

[11/26/13 @ 2:00 pm - Matthew]

The maintenance has been completed.

This Outage was reported on 11/22/13 and resolved on 11/26/13.

Outage Resolved

[10/21/13 @ 12:00 am - Mary]

The EZProxy server will be upgraded to the newest version beginning at 7 am. Down time should only be for a few minutes. If you experience any database off-campus access problems after 7:30 am, please contact Mary Morgan - morganm@gvsu.edu

[10/21/13 @ 11:06 am - Mary]

EZProxy updated and tested.

This Outage was reported on 10/21/13 and resolved on 10/21/13.